Are you looking at buying your first home now or in the future?
Then this episode is for you.
I’ll be talking with Marc and Sally from Finder.com.au about things first-time homebuyers need to do to make the most of their purchase and the mistakes they should avoid.
Even if you’re not a first-time buyer, the property information we discuss is valuable for those who have been through the process before as well.
Mistakes First Home Buyers Make
- Buying emotionally – Your first home is not likely to be your last home, so it’s better not to get too emotionally invested in the process. Instead, think of it as an investment, and a stepping-stone to your next property.
- Not factoring in all of the real costs – Everyone looks at the price of the property first, but it’s important not to let all of the other costs, like stamp duty, conveyancing, moving costs, rates and taxes and insurance and maintenance, body corporate fees, and mortgage fees get left out of the equation.
- Overextending financially – A mortgage broker can help you navigate loans and work out a budget, so you don’t end up taking on more than you can really afford.
- Not doing your proper due diligence – Don’t forget the seemingly little things like building and pest inspections. These can help you avoid potentially big problems down the road.
- Not understanding the contract you’re signing – Once you’ve signed a contract, you’re obligated to fulfill the terms, so it’s important to understand what you’re getting into. Your legal representative can help make sure that you’re fully informed before signing on the dotted line.
- Not getting finance pre-approval – When you get your finances organized ahead of time and get a loan pre-approval, you’ll know exactly how much you have to spend and be at less risk of overextending yourself.
- Trying to do it on your own – Buyer’s agents, mortgage brokers, and solicitors are all examples of professionals whose expertise can help make sure that your buying process goes smoothly and you get what you want and understand what you’re getting. Don’t try to go it alone.
Links and Resources:
Join Michael Yardney and a group of Australia’s leading experts at his annual Property and Economic Market updates – in Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne Use the coupon code PODCAST and come as our guest
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“And the other thing is, if you buy emotionally and overpay, it’s going to cost you a lot more than you need, and that’s going to be an extra cost in stamp duty and interest for a long, long period of time.” –Michael Yardney
“Today, in this current lending environment, it’s much, much harder to get a loan, there’s a lot more hoops you’ve got to go through, it takes longer than it used to.” – Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes – it’s your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here’s how
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
Sure many of the property markets around Australia are performing well, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.